Project 3


So this performance felt a little confusing and sprung on me, but that is my personal experience with it. Still,  I feel like it came together well and was a great fluxus piece in the end. I missed the two group meetings about this performance because I was at track and absent, so the concepts of others were unclear at first. When we met for the final time before the live performance, I started to grasp the different parts of the performance and what they meant.

While the other members of the group made noises using various materials and were conducted around, I was doing my own thing by walking back and forth. I chose and was given this role because my walking boot makes a distinct sound and rhythm when I am consciously walking. The loud and constant banging of the boot allowed a pattern and rhythm as a sort of chaos occurred behind and above me. Merce Cunningham's work also inspired my role because he believed that anything could be dance. I had no music and I was just exaggerating my walk, but according to Cunningham this would be art. This piece ended up coming together like a collaboration of Cunningham and Cage.

Another aspect of my own contributions to the piece was adding the headphones and paying no attention to what was happening around me. This was a parallel to society today and our obsession with our phones. We miss out on a lot when we are consumed in our phones and own actions.

Overall, I enjoyed preparing and doing this performance. I look forward to watching the video because I have no idea what was going on beyond my walking. So let's watch and enjoy the fluxus and Cage/Cunningham inspired performance together.




Comments

  1. Great response Libby! I had not thought of Merce Cunningham! YES! of course. Anything can be dance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i would like to see this one a bit more "timed" and reperformed for our live art night.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Project 6: Femininity and Physicality

Project 5: "Art must be beautiful, artist must be beautiful" by Marina Abramovic...REMAKE